Monday, March 10, 2008

A New Twist

First things first: 186.8! It's only a small loss but hey, it's a loss! So yesterday's Come to Jesus didn't screw me up for good. And I used the Swerve Sugar in the Apple Crisp and it was so very lovely. Plus Amy's Organic Dijon Mustard, which after looking on the label, appears to be "OK" re: Simeon and evil K Trudeau.

Anyway. Went to work out with Trevor. My endurance is so totally down it's not even funny. He is patient with me and encouraging. He noted that when you only eat 500 cals per day ("or so" if you're me) then you simply don't have enough energy to do much. He said "It's like pushing your car to work versus just getting in it and turning the engine on." He also noted that we are not going to try to build big muscles but just "touch" the ones I have in order to minimize lean muscle loss. Hubby went fishing with his sweet old brother (ice fishing - you must have to be from Michigan to appreciate this) - so he missed our workout.

Trevor and I had this conversation about the mental place you get when you first begin to really really really surrender to the food thing. He said "I see people put high octane fuel in their car and then drive through McDonald's." He also (man he was really on a Car Metaphor today) said - this food thing and regular weight loss is gratifying. Your real challenge will be when it no longer is new. It's like getting a new car. Then you have to continue to drive it and the newness wears off. And it will stall, just like you will likely hit a plateau. It's how you handle the ongoing eating and what you do when the plateau hits that counts." I love Trevor. He has been so patient with me for almost two years now. He listens to me vent and vent about my internal world with patience. It's like when a patient of mine tells me after a year of treatment "if I get active and do more social things, and if I take my anti-depressant, I really feel better!" I nod sagely and think "Yeppers, it's what I've been telling you for the entire year" but I realize that everyone must come to what the come to in their own time.

So, then I go see Dr. T. My weight loss for the week is almost three pounds, which is low. We then get on the Body Fat Measure Scale. I can't tell what the numbers mean - he's got a full waiting room today and I don't want to bug him. But he is perplexed and says this "It looks like you've lost ten pounds of fat and gained 7 pounds of muscle." WHAT? He wonders why this is. I remind him that I need a re-supply of amino acids. Then he says "Oh! That must be it! I don't typically put people on aminos when they are on hcg - but this must be what is happening - you are losing fat but at this point, you are gaining lean." I said "So I should be happy? Sad? Be more stringent with the diet?" He smiled and said "Be Happy." I said "Are YOU happy?" and he was. Who knows - the aminos plus the hcg may be an even better combination.

Trevor and Dr. K tell me that aminos are essentially protein, like the stuff you get in protein drink, but it's in pill form so it doesn't taste all horrid. Dr. K says that amino acids are the building blocks of all cellular function. Trevor and Dr. T say that they build your lean muscle tissue. So, perhaps you lose a ton initially (with half being water) on hcg with aminos (and I have improved in my amino intake lately.) Maybe I'll be some kind of hcg/amino test case.

The news is not all happy though. I apparently, according to Dr. T. have developed a case of Shingles! I have never had a shingle, or herpes sore on my mouth, or anything. He said "have you had the chicken pox?" "yes" "Then shingles are possible." The appear of course, under times of stress. They appeared immediately after the car accident. Also this diet is dramatic and likely a shock to my system.

I think the name is creepy. How about 'Little Painful Dots in a Group on your Bum Syndrome?"

Shingles. Sounds like something you'd put chipped beef on (aging myself here).

4 comments:

Becca said...

HaHa, shingles and chipped beef? Heard of it but never had it. LOL!
Hey I think you're doing great. And the beauty of the HCG protocol is that you lose very little muscle mass when you are on this diet. Unlike all other types of diets you try. So with the HCG melting your fat and Trevor building up your muscle, I'd say that's what showed up when the doc measured you. So awesome!
If you want an example of how great someone can look who has lost weight on HCG WITHOUT exercise, just go see Jennifer's blog where she posted a pic of her in her flame bikini. She looks very toned and firm. She sure doesn't look like someone who has lost muscle mass!

Paul said...

Hi,
Read your blog today for the first time and saw the shingles reference. I wanted to pass some info to you if it would help.
I had shingles over twenty years ago. They were very severe and ran from my spine, under my right arm and around to my sternum. Very painful, with lots of blisters. Seemed the only thing that would make the burning go away was to stay in a very hot bath, and keep changing the water.
The doctor just wanted to give me meds to help with the pain and suggested there really wasn't anything that could make them go away. Today they have new medications that make the symptoms go away, but they are not healthy for anyone to take with their side effects.
I went to the local University Medical Library and did my own research on it, and found articles from France that suggested that shingles, which are the same virus as chicken pox, are more likely to have an outbreak in springtime and autumn, and are caused by a lack of one of three things. Vitamin A, Vitamin C or Lysine (an amino acid only found in meat).
I was in so much pain at the library, and couldn't stand to have my shirt touch my skin over the outbreak, and having spent nearly a week with this condition would have done anything to make it go away.
I wanted to see if it might be true, that I was just defecient of one of those three things. I went to the health food store and bought the best Vit A and C I could find, along with Lysine tablets. I took mega doses of Vitamin C and Lysine, and the exact amount of Vitamin A (one should never take more than the daily required amount of Vitaimn A).
By that evening the pain was gone. By morning I stopped making new blisters, and the old broken ones started to heal. When it was all over I was left with white scarring that, though faint now, still can be seen on my side.
From time to time, when I have been stressed, I get a little itchy feeling right where the scars are, and head off the supplements cabinet to take those three things. I have never had a recurrence.
Over the years I have passed this on to at least twenty people with shingles, and it has taken the problem away from all of them ... including the poor elderly women that had them for decades in her eye (yuk!).
Anyway, I hope this might help.
Paul
http://imagoembraced.wordpress.com/

The Hopeful Cynic said...

Thank you both for your support! Bec, I'm just going to keep going, in a normal, intuitive way with this "diet" - and we'll see about the loss.

Paul, thanks so much for your help and insight about Shingles. I have been getting mega-C injections and I've been eating alot of organic meat (beef) and chicken/shrimp. I did have chicken pox as a child though. I'm going to call Dr. T about the lysine and vitamin A. And also do a little NIH research myself.

You are a dear for your help.

Thanks ALL!

bev said...

I told you they were shingles. Hurt like hell, related to stress and you don't always just have them one time. I have 3 sites and all the time- at least when I'm stressed. so it sucks, but it's bearable.

love biwi