Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Tough Day

Without talking too much about my work - today I was assigned a case involving a violent death. It must have really taken it out of me. Plus, my Good Sis Biwi phoned to say that the Difficult and Pain in the Ass Sis "wants to know when you will be coming to see Mom and Dad."

I made the reservation for the trip and we're leaving Saturday. WHY the P.I.Ass sister has any need to know about when I arrive is frankly beyond me.

This sister has been emotionally abusive to me and Biwi and has no insight about it. She has ALL of the guardianship and control of my parents and we must go "directly through her" for any and all information about them. I grieved my parents and the thought that I could ever do anything for them, when she went to the Court and gained that control. Her son lives in my parents' home - the home I grew up in - him and his three illegitimate kids - I know, it's judgmental and who knows, maybe they're married - it's not the point - they are IN MY PARENTS' HOME. I am the only one who grew up in this home - the other sisters (they are twins) are 13 years older than me - they had moved out. I cringe to think of those people going through the things - the detritus of my childhood left behind. And I am "not allowed to go to the home unless P.I. Ass sister is present." FUCK HER.

I'm not going to the home. I'm not going anywhere near her. I just want to see my parents. Why do I have to tell her anything about when I'm coming? And why doesn't she just call me herself instead of Biwi? I am not interested in sharing my visit with my parents with her in the room - and fuck her if she tries that. But you know she will. I know she will.

She completely hates me. She has since I was a child - of course, I had NO IDEA this was the case - because it seemed too monstrous. I was a little kid - what could I have ever done to deserve that?

But she does. I finally had to accept it. But part of acceptance is that I am not playing ball with her. My parents are in their 80's. My mother is wheelchair bound and is sitting there, literally waiting to die. My father has dementia - so he's happy but can't have meaningful conversations with anyone. I am going. I had a court thing cancel so I can go. I don't want to go. I feel that I am a bad child because I don't want to deal with the difficult sister. My parents live very far away from me. It's more than a two day drive. They, especially my mother, have not been able to visit me or my family for over ten years. They did not, could not come, when my child was born. No one did. The family really consists of me and my sister Biwi because she was there in an emotional sense for me and always has been. The other sister hated both of us - we were simply not cool enough for her or something - I don't know - but now feels "ganged up on" which just KILLS me, as she is spending my parents' money, she is controlling everything, and has told both of us in no uncertain terms how much she hates us, with an amazing level of contempt.

I do not seek her out. Why can't she just leave me alone?

You would think that I could figure this out, but I can't.

And here's the thing that relates to weight and food. If she sees me, and sees me so much thinner now (I was thinner than her to begin with), then her hatred will be higher. I know it. I can FEEL it. Part of me wants to say Na Na Na - but a bigger part is afraid. She's scary when she's jealous.

Will I overeat because I want to Fit In to my old roots back home? Will I overeat because my healthy eating will make her think that I'm just "showing off" which she has said about my practice, my education and everything else, I shit you not.

Will I overeat because of the tension and anxiety I feel? Why the FUCK did she have to stir the pot? Why the FUCK does she have to know my every move?

I don't want to interact with her at all. AT ALL. But I don't want to have an embarrassing scene, which is what she counts on. I just want to politely be with my parents, ALONE.

She called last month and I picked up the phone (because I didn't look at caller ID) and she said "when are you coming to visit?" and I told her "end of March." So now, why does she call my local Biwi sister to find out?

I told Mom on the phone that I'd visit her on Sunday. I suppose Mom remembered or who knows.. Perhaps she tape records every phone call that Mom has with me. I honestly wouldn't put it past her.

WHAT DO I DO? I don't want to see or talk to this person. But she is going to press it, counting on me not to make a scene.

Well, now you all know my dirty family skeleton shit.

Better put it here than talk about it with P.I.Ass Sister directly. Don't want to give her the satisfaction. I am done. The last time she called and screamed at me, and put me on a list of people who were "not allowed" to contact my parents WHEN THEY WERE IN THE HOSPITAL, I was done. I have hours of history of telephone conversations in which she literally screams at me and tells me "this is the way you can help our parents. by allowing me to 'vent' on you."

I am done.

But I can feel her and that she's gonna make a scene.

HELP!

5 comments:

Amie said...

It doesn't seem to me that she is very mentally nor emotionally stable. (Narcissistic Personality Disorder actually rings a bell, but I'm no doctor) I gather that you are in a law-type profession (yeah, very technical. I know. lol) .. Is she allowed to do this to you?? Can you take her to court for "joint-control" of your parents' affairs, or at least to have some semblance of control over your own right to visit and interact with them? Could you somehow "prove" that she is "neglecting" them?? >:) I don't know, but this would drive me just as nuts as it must be driving you. You must be an angel of God or something, cuz I'd have likely cut her brakelines by now.

Anyhow - do NOT sabotage yourself just to "fit" this psycho P.I.T.A. woman's idea of you. You SHOW off your accomplishments because you should be PROUD of yourself. She should be too, but she's apparently too mentally disabled. Unfortunate for her. Good for you to not participate in her mind-games either. I could go on for days on this one, honey. :( I'm very sorry to hear about your family issues. Don't take her shit. Hold your head up and spend time with your parents as if she doesn't exist. Smile smugly, knowing that you look a MILLION times better than her and always will. HA!

Interplanet Janet said...

Oh my God, you are so brave to even contemplate dealing with PIA sister's complete and utter BULLSHIT!!!! I just hate her, she needs some serious mental intervention.
My heart is bleeding for you, do you need me to go with you? I would be totally honored to hold your hand through this.
As far as going off of your plan in order to fit in, don't sweat it and don't let her win! Once a jealous, maladjusted hag, ALWAYS a jealous, maladjusted hag. Her punishment is that she has to live with herself in a shriveled, bitter, lonely world without a loving, generous, wonderful sister because she has totally burned all of her bridges. The amazing thing is that she doesn't even know what she's lost, what a sad, sad thing for her.
Just go and enjoy the time you have left with your parent's, your relationship with them is completely your own in spite of how she has attempted to interfere. It's private and doesn't have to have anything to do with her.
You know you can call me any time of the day or night...

The Hopeful Cynic said...

Oh gals, I love you both. Amie, actually I AM a doctor, so you are right, she does have Narcissistic Personality Disorder to a T, which is tragic because she can be extremely funny, charming and so very smart. She positioned herself to be the "only" person that could take care of my parents years ago. I've lived out west since 1984 - she moved back there, got a nursing degree (which she has never formally used because she can't ever actually 'work' for anyone - because she cannot bear scrutiny), and has worked extensively in volunteer positions in the nursing home community. So physically she is the 'right' person. However, she has also convinced my parents that Biwi and I are incompetent and unable to provide any sort of appropriate care for them. Biwi lived away until relatively recently, owing to her spouse's job, and moved home to be near them. I talked to them about 8 years ago about closing my practice and moving back. My mother, in a moment of clarify, told me "no" and reminded me that my work and the work she did all of her life, were similar - that you can't just pick up and move, and that she would feel better to know I was successful here. Mother and I are both work a holics - something I'm trying to overcome and have had some success. Daddy told me no as well. I did not anticipate at that time the position of the Difficult Sister. She shares the SAME PHYSICIAN as my parents, and this MD writes the sister her LORTAB prescription, the same as for my mother.

I contemplated mounting a fight when I realized what was happening, but was faced with a grim reality. The fact is, my parents CHOSE this sister and her spouse to manage their affairs. She was THEIR CHOICE, no matter how it ended up. That my sister uses her provision of care for them as her latest excuse about why she cannot grow up, take care of her self, be successful or what have you, is something I cannot control.

So far, she knows that attempting to interfere with my visitation of my parents (e.g. not allowing me contact) is something that she cannot do. I did check the State ombudsman for their state about that. And admittedly, I do not disagree, for the most part, with the decisions she has made in terms of their medical care.

I hate it that the psychological game she plays, using her care of them to attempt to manage some ancient childhood wound she believes (and perhaps rightfully so) she suffered from them, is not conscious to anyone but me. But oh well.

Janet, I love you so much. Hubby and son being there will totally help. But when I have to go back, I'd take you with me in one minute - so be ready. Thank you so much for the book on intuitive eating. It's so gentle and amazing. Just like you.

OK now to post a blog that is not such a Big Downer.

xoxo Hazel

BizBuzz said...

Hazel - gosh, these are the very things that cause us to turn to food for comfort. Be bigger than that my friend, you have come a long way baby, and don't give PITA sis the rope she needs to hang you. It's just not worth it.

I am not a huge Dr Phil fan, but something he said has resonated with me for years. Looking good is the best revenge. So go with your head held high, do what you need to do to get thru it, and then leave it there when you leave.

The Hopeful Cynic said...

Oh Biz, my inspiration, thanks so much! I also don't love Dr. Phil, mostly because he hasn't been a licensed psychologist since the 80's when he relinquished his license. However, looking good is the best revenge. Is it mean not to tell the PITA sister how I did it? I mean, even though she's a shithead, do we relegate her to a life of diabetes and heart disease and so forth? I feel guilty not passing it along. But I totally don't want her in my personal business at all. I'll sort it out. I know, perhaps I'll feel more kindly when I hit 150. That lets me put the "spreading of the hcg gospel" on hold somewhat.
xoxo and thanks for support.