Sunday, April 6, 2008

Oklahoma, Covering Sadness and Horror with Food

Well, here we are. I brought my scale with me. However, TOM has appeared. But since I'm on P3 I'm not injecting so no worries there.

Arrived late last night. Did pretty well flying all day, including changing planes (read running my ass and my kid and hubby's asses off) in Denver. Ate relatively well- no way to avoid a piece of bread - but otherwise OK. Actually needed carbs last night at 1 AM - and I'm listening to my body not to Kevin Trudeau - had a fig newton and a cracker. Sister's house (this is Biwi's house) is the kind of place where there is always someplace comfortable to sit down, lay down, or stand. Something to read (truly this woman and her husband have OVER 10,000 volumes on everything ranging from her dictionary collection - I gave her the OED all 21 volumes of it when she turned 50) to the original Ozma of Oz), Something to eat (wonderful, bad for me, good for me, comforting food), Iced Tea at all hours of the day or night, and Something to watch on TV or Movie.

The best part is Biwi and her spouse Uncle M. And two reclining chairs and three mostly well behaved dogs. And two or three computers. No one demands anything of you in this house. No need to talk. No need to perform. No need to eat or not eat. No need to do anything but read or watch tv or just BE. Not really an "active" house too - no pressure there - If you want to go be active, you are welcome to do it.

Comforting. Safe.

So, no calls from The Difficult Sister. I slept like a rock last night. Then I got up, dressed up, sucked it up and Husb and Son and I went to see my parents at The Home. I was terrified at what I'd see.

First of all, The Home itself is pretty damn good, given that they are in the hospital care part.

My parents look terrible. My mother had fallen and had a bruised face and arm. She is in a wheelchair and won't even roll herself around. Makes me want to see about getting her a HoverRound - if I can. My dad recognized me and smiled. It was like a flood of relief that he recognized me. He did not remember my husband of 14 years or my son, but he was loving to my little boy all the same. My mother remembered them both and her head lifted a bit to watch him tell her about skiing the black diamond slopes or doing ballet (my son dances ballet 4 hours a week).

My mother is so angry and depressed and sad. And she will not do anything about it. I feel like the worst child ever. I felt like I abandoned her to the Difficult Sister but in the end, I know that even if I had stayed, this is how it would have ended up.

So, I went to Targer and bought her a dvd/vcr and then bought all of the Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers movies I could find. And then Hee Haw, and Archie Bunker and Jimmy Stewart and whatever else I could get at Barnes and Noble. And we sat, her in her wheelchair and my father asleep in his recliner, and my husband on her bed, and me in the recliner that she refuses to use because she's terrified to leave her very uncomfortable looking wheelchair - and we watched Fred and Ginger hoof it up.

And my mother said "I love those old movies" and smiled.

So at least I could give her that.

The women - all gorgeous african american women who must have more patience between them than Job ever had - initially looked at me warily until I let them know that the Difficult Sister and I don't get along well and that I hoped she wouldn't keep erasing my name and phone number off my parent's white board telephone list. One said "Ooooh Girl! That sister of yours, she can really be so dang mean!" I said "Ooh girl, just try being related to her!!" Thank goodness for those women.

I took a sharpie, permanent ink, and put my name, with the word DAUGHTER and my state and two phone numbers back on the white board where the difficult sister had wiped it off. Put Biwi's number in permanent ink on there too. So FUCK HER when she tries to wipe it off. The caregiver said "oooh girl, she be taking that whole board off when she see that!" And they all laughed.

I felt like I had a little angel on my side there.

Here's another good part. No Difficult Sister Sightings at all. Indeed, I looked in the sign in book - she hasn't been there since at least the 31st. What the hell is that? She made such a big deal about being their caregiver, their guardian, the executor of their estate and now- no visits?

Oh well. I decided I'm not telling her how I lost this weight. She can figure it out on her own - or not.

So here is what I ate today: Eggs with Velveeta Cheese (OMG I'M IN HEAVEN). Half a hamburger pattie. Two bites of cottage cheese. Part of someone's rootbeer. I just couldn't eat. This is the first time that I could not eat. It's a strange experience for me. Usually I eat to deal with all emotions, or no emotions, or what have you.

I know I need to eat now. I'm trying to respect my hunger and eat - listening to what my body really wants. But also I don't want to down a bunch of carbs and blow the good work I've done.

So, when this is done, I'll opt for some lean turkey breast sandwich meat or something and then see if that's enough. The drink a bunch of water trick keeps working too.

My husband is a saint through all of this. We left my son with his aunt and uncle and went to Target for the DVD/VCR thing - and I just sobbed and could not stop. The sense that you missed it - that you should have done something, somehow - but what - that your family is not what you wished it was - and that YOU are not what you wished you were... it's all tied up in there and I have to just sort it out.

But I'm NOT going to let food just cover dealing with it. Let the "oh to hell with it" and eat everything and then feel bad, which is the kind of feeling bad I can handle, cover the kind of feeling bad about my parents and their lives - which I can't ... or which I haven't been dealing with - I'm not doing that.

Diet, no diet - whatever. I am tired of letting food -whether I eat it, don't eat it - whatever- distract me from the truth of what is going on.

At least I've gotten that far for today. The limitations of the hcg diet at least got me to that realization.

My brother was killed in an airplane crash when my mother was my age. He was 20 years old. I was 9. My mother sortof died that day. She stopped cooking and she threw herself into her work. She stopped being very connected to me too... if she ever was. Today I told her - "You lived through the great depression, world war II, and the death of your son." She said for the first time "that was the worst thing that ever happened to me." I said "I think you threw yourself into your work - and when you had your stroke and lost your health, and couldn't work - I think you don't know what to do." My mother knew exactly what I was talking about.

Food, work, it all acts as a cover - as a distraction from what is really happening. Diets, work, family, all of it - can be used this way. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. Some things are too difficult to bear. Seeing my mother's bruised face, looking up at me from her wheelchair, and remembering her brilliant career and all of her old friends who are dead, and her vivaciousness - it was just too difficult to bear. But I didn't eat my way through it. Just sobbed later. And now too I guess.

Thanks for listening, my anonymous but kindly crew.

I find courage just being able to type this out loud is more than I thought I'd ever do.

10 comments:

Becca said...

Oh, Hazel, I just finished reading your last three posts. And all I can say is OH, MY, GOD! I am so sorry for all the crap you are having to deal with now. I too have a PIA sis who actually dropped out of our lives for about 5 years. Moved with no forwarding address, literally! And then we accidentally found her again but she still ignored us until our Mom got sick and died and then she started wanting to be in our family again. Now she is still a PIA but we ignore that part and try to tolerate.
So I can relate, but your situation is so much worse because of the control issue.
I think you are handling it just right and I'm so glad that she hasn't shown her face so far. It's wonderful that you're having the chance to get to know your parent's caregivers too without her interference. Maybe they can be your allies and keep you informed of what's going on. I'm so glad that you are able to provide some small comfort and joy to your mother with the videos and stories from your son.
And as far as telling you PIA sis about the HCG, my advice is DON't tell her under any circumstances. If she is as vindictive and controlling as you say, not only will she not be willing to try it for herself, but she will find a way to make it seem as if you are doing something WRONG by using this method. I have had jealous people act so negatively that I am very cautious about telling people until I can tell for sure that they are receptive to something alternative.
I'm glad to hear that you are not having issues with overeating. It sounds like you have a good balance. Eating things that are good but not going overboard. And yes sometimes you just have to have the bread.
So I hope your visit continues to go well and you can avoid running into the dragon lady. That may be too much to hope for.
One more thing that might help if you do end up having to contend with her...
You cannot control what she does and how she feels and behaves towards you. But you can take away her ability to hurt you by not listening to her negativity. And not giving power to her words. I heard someone say that their therapist told them to think of mean words and actions as little puffs of clouds or smoke that just vaporize into the air as soon as they are spoken. They aren't true and they aren't real and they can't hurt you. They are just NOTHING...

Best of luck to you and your family...

Interplanet Janet said...

My sweet, sweet friend - I am so sorry that things are so difficult for you right now. PIA sister can just kiss my big 'ol white ASS!!! I cannot believe that she ERASED your NAME from your parents telephone board, thank God for the angels taking care of them and for permanent ink! If I were there I would probably try to break that white board over her wizened-up, sour little skull!! God, what a bee-atch!
I am so glad that you got to have some meaningful conversation with your Mother, that will go a long way. As usual, you are showing your amazing generosity and love. You are incredible and I love you sister-of-my-heart. I'm here if you need me.
XOXO

Anonymous said...

Wow. I don't know where to begin. You are so fortunate to have such a supportive husband -- bless him! And the caregivers -- it must have felt so good to have your feelings about your sister's behavior validated by them. Thank god for permanent markers!

My thoughts are with you -- hope the rest of the visit is OK -- have a safe return home.

EweWho said...

Oh, Hazel! I can't even begin to relate to having a PIA sister, because I only have a brother, and he has always been so giving to me, even when we were children. I think he spoiled me as much as our parents did.

It sounds like you are handling things well, and you will be so glad you made the visit, I'm sure.

When are you going home, or are you already there? It is so much easier to stay on track when you are home rather than away.

I'm going to CA next week and will be with my mother, who is a very active 79-year-old. She goes out for dinner just about nightly, so that will be hard, but I've gotten quite good at ordering what I need, not what I want. LOL

I love the caption at the top of your blog. Hopefully this protocol will change your mind about being cynical.

Now I'm going to read the rest of your entries. I'll keep any comments to myself. LOL I certainly am going to enjoy reading about your progress.

The Hopeful Cynic said...

you guys, you cannot know how buoying it is to hear your support. weirdly, (janet can attest to this) i am not really used to getting this level of support from others. i think it makes me feel all squirmy and nervy when it is delivered face to face. i'm like a hedgehog - sortof cute but not so easy to get close to (save Janet who was able to) - yet if you met me, you'd think the opposite. I never knew these things about myself and would not have realized the thing about getting support until I did hcg, found my friends here and blogged away. I ate one piece of pizza last night - i went to bed (bawling a bit i must admit) and then got up at 1 and had one piece of pizza. and then went back to bed. I'll blog more but mostly wanted to thank you all.

Anonymous said...

This is an exceptional gang of bloggers, it's true -- not a bad apple among us! And we adore you -- just the title of your blog reeled me in!

beachbrights said...

You have touched something in me. Your blog actually brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for trusting in our "group" and sharing.

You are in my thoughts.

-CB

Ed & Jennifer said...

Wow Hazel-how you doing girl? I just want you to know that we're thinking of you...awww, LIFE!

Hang in there!

Sorry I'm not more in depth (everyone said it all already)AMEN to all the comments!!!

BizBuzz said...

Hazel, what a strong person you are to deal with the different tragedies of life. You are incredible.

LindsayLoo said...

I really can't imagine how hard it must be to see your parents like this. I dread the day that my parents have to go in a nursing home, but like my Dad always says "That's life". Ugh. It sucks. What is it about demanding people want to be 'over' their parents and then don't even go to visit them? Talk about control, pfft. People like that totally get under my skin!